the Latest Costume!

By 6:58 AM

Hey! How r u? Thanks for noticing my new post.

Today I'd like to show you my latest creation. My NEW costume :)
Last Saturday (October 16), I got a chance to perform a dance with my dance team (which was newly formed, and this day was our debut). We got a chance to entertain the participants of National Medical Challenge (NMC) on the closing party. The theme of the party was "Gorgeus and Glamour". When I heard that word for the first time, I thought only two colors, black and gold to represent both "gorgeous" and "glamour". But as Indonesian, I thik batik is the perfect  symbol to represent "Gorgeus and Glamour". Therefore, my teammates and I decided to choose the color black, gold, and batik as the "main course" of our costumes.


Unfortunately, we were a bit short of funds, so we have to limit our budget for buying materials for the costumes. We were only able to buy half a meter of batik fabric and a half meters of gold fabricwhile the black color--as the base color of our costume-- we had to prepare independently. And yet, we couldn't afford tailor so we had to figure it out how to wear them well so we would look so Gorgeous and Glamour.

at first I was confused about how to make these fabrics look gorgeous and glamorousabsolutely no ideaThen I watched a Japanese movie titled Crows Zero (taken from anime with the same tittle, played by famous Japanese Idol--Oguri Shun)which tells about delinquents at a Japan all-boys high school who always got involved in fights. Among those students in the movie there was no single student who wear a standard uniform (Japanese highschool uniform is called GAKURAN. It looks like a Japanese army uniform at the second world war. Or the Japanese naval uniforms in earlier times - if I'm not mistaken . To know more about Gakuran history, you can see in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_school_uniform)

Now, try to compare the original Gakuran with the movie's versionThe version in the film seems more fascinating, isn't it? According to me and some friends, the movie's version of gakuran is more like Beskap (traditional dress in Java for men)
original Gakuran
Genji Takiya (Oguri Shun)


Genji Takiya- Crows Zero Comic


















Beskap of Central Java
Gakuran in the movie's version seems shorter (the belt can be seen). And the front shape of gakuran was longer than the back. It is the same with Beskap (you can search it on your search engine).

I really inspired with both beskap and gakuran. And I really amazed with the belt shown. So I thought to combine this beskap/gakuran style, with good belt. I really want to copy a little style from a dance team I love the most,the Beatfreaks. Just look at the picture on this left. You know what I mean right? Gold belt and gold chain.


So I made this style, the original style I wore on the stage that night

If you look closer on the clothes, you will find that I tried my best to implicate beskap/ gakuran.

and the gold belt too (Actually it's not a real gold belt. I just wrapped my belt with a gold fabric--because my budget is so limited)


If you look at the back, actually it's shorter than the front. just like Genji Takiya's Gakuran/ beskap. Unfotunately, I forgot to take my back's picture.

Hair do?
Nothin special.










For the makeup, I only applied two colors, gold and black (again), a little white eyeliner, and --of course-- a lot of glitter.







I really impressed with my work. I know it's far from perfection. But I really put a good effort in it. I made this dress for 3 hours. Just 3 hours. So I really proud of my work :) LOVE IT!




Thanks for reading my post! Leave comment, please :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. indsocool! :D
    i've just found and read this blog.
    quite new, eh?

    a bit shockerd that u still got TIME to do all those stuffs (while i'm so least productive T.T)
    and also dance! :O :O

    keep up the good work! hehe :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, ndik.
    itu accountku abal. hahaha biar deh. gabisa anonim sih :3

    btw lagi,
    what's white eyeliner do?
    hehe.

    ReplyDelete