BoA [Shout it Out] MV Costume: back dancer outfit and accessories

By 8:45 PM

Before reading this article, make sure you read this

So, I've told you about BoA's outfit on the last post. Now I will tell you about the rest of the work, the back dancer's outfit and the accessories.

You knew the reason why I chose BoA's street style from my previous post. But for the back dancers, I chose the all black costume. Because they would look similar, neat, but stylish. Beside, the items for the street costume were harder to find too, so all black costume would make less work for me

The thing was, the all black costume consists of black basic top and pants, and heavy gothic accessorizing. Each of the dancers had their own style and accessories.

Here are their style:



For each character, I had to make choker/necklace, bracelet, and top accessories such as suspenders. I had to draw the design first and started to make a list of things that I had to make.

sorry for my bad drawing, it's written in Indonesia

TOP

Ok. Let's start with the top.
Everybody basically wore black shirt. One of them was long sleeves, two of them were short sleeves, the other two were tank tops, and one of them was in a some kind of body wrap.
Backdancers and their top style
The trickiest part was Aya Sato's top.
I had to make them because they weren't on sale. I made them out of black satin ribbon. First I had to cut them into some layer and sew them into a checkered fabric. Then I sew them into a top. 
Satin Ribbon
Checkered fabric built from satin ribbon


Aya Sato top
Can you imagine? A top from a ribbon. With a tanktop beneath it.

For the other tops I just needed to style it a little. I cut the shoulder for Miki's top. Cut the stomach for Kanata and Akane shirts, gave a front lining for Yuko's tank top, and did nothing for Bambi's body wrap.
The material for Kanata's top was a little tricky, because it shines and sheer like a fish net. But I didn't have time for that so I just made it from cotton shirt. No shine, but it's OK.

That's all for the top.

Bottom Part

This is the easiest part!
Pants style for each dancers
Hotpants with or without hi-waist was easy to find. Skinny pants is always there, everybody's must-have-item. Drop-crotch was a little difficult, but you could always find it among dancers. So, no big deal. Except for Aya's Drop-crotch,  I had to put some thing like suspenders hanging in the right-left side of the pants, and attached sequins in the lower leg part.
Akane's and Kanata's pants material should be latex, but it was quite expensive for me, so I just used the common pants material.

The Accessories

This was the most interesting part, because I had to make them. I had to custom them.
You see that each characters has their own style of necklace, so I made it as closely as the original.

Because I had limited fund, rocker's studded was my first choice. Cheap but has gothic vibe. I bought small rings (usually used in bag) and wire to help me hang the ring to the choker. I couldn't afford leather or leather-like fabric for the choker, so thick jacket fabric became my choice to make the chokers.
Half done

I had to work it in my work-space in Emergency Room ;)
So here you go:

Aya, Miki, Akane, and Bambi wore chokers while Kanata and Yuko wore gold-chain necklace that we can find anywhere. The bracelet was for Aya Sato's style only, while Bambi wore a simple gold bracelet.

I did the same thing for the suspenders. Using the same rings and fabric. I was having a hard time to find black elastic band to make the suspenders, that's why I decided to make it out of fabric. Except for Bambi's top accessories. I made it out of satin and paper beneath it.

And how do we look?

Here you GO!
We did a little bit more accessorizing beside the original accessories

Aya Sato's style. The most gothic and trickiest style

Winning pose
I am so sorry, turns out I didn't have pre-performance picture. I forgot to take the picture. All I have is post-performance picture where all of the accessories and outfit were falling apart :(

But you still can enjoy our performance here:


Haha!

See you on my next post!

Winning pose

You Might Also Like

2 comments